JOIN THE CONVERSATION
HAVE YOUR SAY ABOUT THE FUTURE OF TRONPnui
Since the organisation’s inaugural election in September 2011, the post-settlement governance entity, Te Runanganui o Ngati Porou (TRONPnui), has been in operation. The establishment of TRONPnui was mandated by Ngati Porou Iwi members in December 2010 as part of the Ngati Porou Treaty Claims process. After five years of ‘test driving,’ the newly established entity, the TRONPnui Trust Deed Review provides the opportunity for Ngati Porou whanui to consider:
Are there some things TRONPnui SHOULD be doing, that we are not doing?
Are there some things TRONPnui are doing, that we should STOP DOING or IMPROVE upon?
The TRONPnui Trust Deed review represents a significant and exciting opportunity for all of Ngati Porou to have their say about the future of Te Runanganui o Ngati Porou and its subsidiaries: Is it satisfactory the way that TRONPnui are governing and managing your assets and resources? Or are there improvements that can be made? Is TRONPnui making a difference in the lives of Ngati Porou? Or can we do a better job?
As the ultimate shareholder of the Runanganui, whanau and hapu have the opportunity to change the way things are being done or ensure those aspects that are operating effectively are kept.
What is the TRONPnui Trust Deed?
It is the legal document that established TRONPnui and empowered it to govern and manage the post-settlement assets on behalf of all Ngati Porou. The TRONPnui Trust Deed sets the mandatory rules relating to:
- Registration as a Ngati Porou beneficial member of the Trust
- How beneficial members are represented on the Trust
- How the representatives are chosen
- What the representatives roles and duties are
- How TRONPnui is held accountable for carrying out its roles and duties
The purpose of the review
One of the clauses within the TRONPnui Trust Deed states that it is mandatory that a review of the Trust Deed and its operation, be undertaken five years from the date of the election of the First Elected Representatives. The purpose of the review is to review the effectiveness of the arrangements set out in the Trust Deed and to recommend any alterations (if any) that should be made to the Deed. In other words the review provides the opportunity to learn “what worked well and what didn’t work well", during the first five years of the organisation’s operation and make improvements to the organisation through amendments to the Trust Deed.
TRONPnui Trust Deed Review process
The TRONPnui Trust Deed Review process started in October 2016 and will end in May 2018. There are a few steps in this process but ultimately, any changes to the Trust Deed requires the passing of a Special Resolution of members, via postal ballot. But first it's necessary to determine the effectiveness of the current Deed and whether amendments are required. To do this your feedback must be gathered via two submission rounds in April/May 2017 and September 2017. Once this is done and the responses are analysed into a final report, this is tabled at the TRONPnui AGM 2017. If amendments are required, Adult registered members on the Ngati Porou register will be asked to vote for or against them in a Special Resolution of Members Postal Ballot in April 2018. To pass this Special Resolution, 75% of those who take part in the voting, must approve the amendments.
Diversity of people, diversity of opinion
Ngati Porou is made up of an estimated 90,000 Iwi members living at home, across Aotearoa and around the world. Although sharing a common whakapapa, among the Ngati Porou population, there is a diversity of perspectives and opinions. Te Runanganui o Ngati Porou welcomes the different points of view expressed by Ngati Porou whanau, and encourages Natis, where-ever they may live, to join the TRONPnui Trust Deed Review conversation.
We need your whakaaro!
Your whakaaro and feedback is crucial in helping to create the future shape and direction of Te Runanganui o Ngati Porou. As some Trust Deed conversation starters, we encourage you to think about: What are the positive things about TRONPnui? What are the negative things? What do you think about the current structure and representation model? What is it you want to see, that you are not seeing at the moment? Are there are other or better things we could be doing with our time and resources?
There is no right or wrong way to express what you say in your submission. Also if you have any ideas or suggestions that you think would help improve TRONPnui or solve any challenges that you believe the organisation faces, please let us know. However if you don’t have a solution in mind, kei te pai. You can let us know the result or outcome you want from TRONPnui, and then tell us to figure out how to make that happen.
Important information- Please read
- All submissions will be received in the strictest confidence. An Independent Advisor, David Gray, will be receiving the submissions. No TRONPnui staff member or TRONPnui Board member will be handling any of the submissions and therefore will not be privy to the names of those who are making submissions ( click here to find out how to make a submission)
- You don’t have to be registered to participate in the submission process, however you must be registered on the Ngati Porou register if you want to participate in any voting process. If you are not registered please contact Hiria Shaw ( Database Administrator), email: email@example.com Tel: 0800 67 67 68 (0800 NPOROU).
- Trust Deed Review Feedback may be submitted in Te Reo Maori, English or both.
- Round One Submission closing date: Wednesday 31st of May, 2017
- Round Two Submission: September 2017
- Special Resolution of Members Postal Voting: April 2018