TRONPnui Trust Deed Review - Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What is this kaupapa about and why is it important?
A. The TRONPnui Trust Deed review represents a significant and exciting opportunity for all of Ngati Porou to reflect on how the Runanganui and its subsidiaries, are governing and managing
your assets. You, as the owner of the asset (currently worth approximately $223 million), have the opportunity to change the way things are being done or ensure those aspects that are operating effectively are kept. The Trust Deed is the document that sets the standard that you can expect of your governing and management body.
Q. What is the Te Runanganui O Ngati Porou Trust Deed?
A. It is the legal document that established TRONPnui and empowered it to govern and manage the pre and post-settlement assets on behalf of Ngati Porou. The TRONPnui Trust Deed also sets the mandatory rules for how TRONPnui goes about its business, including:
- Administering the assets held collectively for Ngati Porou.
- The TRONPnui Group structure.
- Registration as a Ngati Porou beneficial member of the Trust.
- How beneficial members are represented on the Trust.
- How the representatives are chosen.
- What the representatives roles and duties are.
- How TRONPnui is held accountable for carrying out its roles and duties.
Q. Why are we having a review?
A. A five year review was built into the Trust Deed. It is common practice for governance entities to review the effectiveness of arrangements set out in their Trust Deeds and to recommend any alterations. In other words, five years gives reasonable time and experience to see if the Deed and TRONPnui structure were working as intended.
The review provides the opportunity for changes and improvements to the Deed to be considered.Providing there is strong support from Ngati Porou, amendments to the Deed will be implemented.
TRONPnui Trust Deed Clause 10.1
10.1 After five years from the date of the election of the First Elected Representatives, Te Runanganui o Ngati Porou shall undertake a review of this Trust Deed and its operation with a view to reporting to the next Annual General Meeting of Te Runanganui o Ngati Porou after the completion of the review on the effectiveness of the arrangements set out in this Trust Deed. Such report shall include recommendations as to the alterations (if any) that shall be made to this Trust Deed.
Q. Does the Trust Deed Review affect the subsidiaries, Ngati Porou Holding Company, (the economic and investment arm of Te Runanangui o Ngati Porou), and Toitu Ngati Porou (the cultural arm of Te Runanganui o Ngati Porou)?
A. Yes. The Toitu Ngati Porou Deed and the Ngati Porou Holding Company Constitution provide that their review should take place at the same time as the review of the Runanganui Trust Deed. The Runanganui will conduct that review.
Q. What can the Trust Deed Review process cover?
A. The review process has the capability to cover all aspects of the Trust Deed and its operation, and consider what is working or not working well ("the effectiveness of the arrangements"). See Review Considerations.
Q. What are some Trust Deed Review Conversation Prompts?
- What are your areas of most concern or most hope?
- Where do you think TRONPnui should be prioritising its assets and resources?
- What do you think are the positive things about TRONPnui?
- What do you think are the negative things about TRONPnui?
- Is there something TRONPnui should be doing, that it is not doing?
- Is there something TRONPnui is doing, that you think it should stop doing?
- What is it you want to see happening at TRONPnui, that you are not seeing at the moment?
- What is the impact you want TRONPnui to make?
- What are the results you are looking for TRONPnui to have?
- Do you have a solution in mind for any issues you have identified?
- Are there other or better things TRONPnui could be doing with the organisation’s time and resources?
- Are you happy with the way TRONPnui’s assets and resources are being directed, distributed and utilised?
For more information about the TRONPnui Trust Deed Review:
- Tel: 0800 NPOROU (0800 676768)
- Email: email@example.com
- Web: www.ngatiporou.com/trustdeedreview
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TeRunanganuioNgatiPorou/
- Read: TRONPnui Trust Deed
- Download: "Join the Korero- Trust Deed Review" booklet
- Download: Submission Form
- Complete: Online Submission Form